Tuesday, July 26, 2011

This Post Has No Title, Hope That's Cool...

So I happen to be taking an Ethics course at the same time that I face an overwhelming ethical dilemma that I wish I could share with you.  Our most recent assignment was to write a Values Statement outlining our five or six most important personal values.  Here is my Values Statement...

       When compiling a list of my personal values, I primarily consider how I prefer to treat people and the ways in which I prefer to approach conflict.  First, I value peace; not hippie-flowers-and-world-peace kind of peace (although that's good too), but instead a sense of internal calmness.  I believe it is important to have a sense of calmness when faced with people or situations over which we have no control.  To have this kind of peace is to have a strong sense of optimism that painful situations are temporary and that life will go on, even if not in the immediate future.
        I rarely expect life to go on without difficulty, which is why I also value strength.  It's true that the only thing in life we can control is ourself.  I value strength because I believe it is important for people to be able to stand on their own two feet in order to persevere in face of the things they can't control.  I believe that the way out of painful situations is always through them, which undoubtedly requires hard work.  I further believe that we find strength in doing what we believe is right despite the risk of difficult consequences.  I value strength as a means of trusting myself to determine my own way of going through life, despite negative influences.
       I also value empathy as a means of acceptance and forgiveness.  I find that the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes is extremely important because I firmly believe the world would be a better place if everyone sought simply to be more understanding.  With empathy, we can learn to accept the things about one another that makes things difficult.  I value the ability to accept differences without trying to change them.  I also value empathy in relationships because it allows people to share one another's pains and joys.  Empathy is the reason people care for one another.
       Furthermore, I value learning because it is crucial to growth.  I learn something from each difficult person I meet or each difficult situation I face.  I learn something about the way I prefer to approach people and I am reminded about what's important.  I believe in constantly trying to make myself better.  The only way to make myself better is to learn HOW to make myself better.  I find it to be true that experience is the best teacher.  With each difficult person I encounter, I learn more about the person I want to be.
       While I do seek to grow, I also seek to stay young which is why I value youthfulness.  With youthfulness comes humor and fun: two things I find essential to happiness no matter how peaceful or strong a person may be.  I believe finding a reason to laugh is a skill that's highly underrated because it keeps us young.  Life is hard enough on its own without us taking it more seriously that we should.  I value youthfulness because I think it's important to be excited about every stage of life.
       Finally, I value thankfulness.  I believe that there is always something to be thankful for or happy about.  I believe those who are fortunate should appreciate and be grateful for everything they have and I believe that finding something to be grateful for can ease pain during difficult situations.  I appreciate everything I've been given and when life is painful, I remember to be grateful that I have my health, my family and my future.  I value thankfulness because experience has taught me that it can drastically improve one's state of mind and give way to a sense of simplicity and peace.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."


"Inspire others to be their best by being your best."

No comments:

Post a Comment